Christmas is the time for love, good food and splendid drinks! This specially created mulled wine Christmas cocktail is loosely based on the traditional mulled wine from Germany, called the Gluehwein. Mulled wine is basically red wine steeped in spices and fruit that is served hot during Christmas. However, our recipe is a summertime version which will be served chilled!
Making mulled wine is very simple with only a handful of ingredients that you probably already have in the pantry. The main ingredient is red wine and a top tip is to not let the wine boil or you will boil off the good part- alcohol! Any type of red wine is suitable for this although we do prefer using a cheaper, sweeter blend. Be prepared to have a very jolly Christmas with this potent cocktail that goes down too easily!
Why not also try our exotic yet festive Pomegranate Kumquat Ginger Punch as as non-alcoholic option for this joyful season.
MULLED WINE CHRISTMAS COCKTAIL
- 1 whole orange
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 15-20 whole cloves
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 cardamom pods (optional)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 75cl bottle of sweet red wine
- A dash or more of Triple Sec Liqueur
- 2 cans of alcoholic apple cider
- Cocktail Shaker*
- Use a peeler to peel the zest of the orange in long, thick strips. Squeeze the juice of the orange and set aside
- In a large, heavy pot, combine the brown sugar, ginger powder and water to make a syrup.
- Reduce the heat and add in the spices (cinnamon, cloves, star anise and cardamom), together with the orange juice. Simmer gently until it slightly thickens.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer and add in the red wine. Let it mull with the spices for a minimum of 20 minutes to 45 minutes. Add a dash of Triple Sec Liqueur at the end.
- Remove the mulled wine and set aside to chill in the fridge for 2 hours or more.
- Once chilled, strain into your preferred cocktail glass/christmas mugs up to half full top it off with the apple cider.
*Optional Flare for a shaken & etxra chilled mulled wine:
After step 5: In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine 150ml of mulled wine and 15ml Triple Sec. Shake and strain into the chilled glass. Top with apple cider and serve.